Thursday, May 26, 2011

Anticipation

Last night as of 10:00 I wasn't even packed. Oh sure I had done laundry, but my suitcase was empty.

For the last 20 days I have been counting down to my trip to Oregon and Washington. I have worked furiously in my garden trying to prepare to leave it for a week. Sure my husband will water, but he probably won't pick my peas. I'm just glad he's willing to take care of the rabbits and pick up the eggs from the chickens.

Then I unexpectedly had the opportunity to pick cherries. It takes a lot of time to process 5 gallons of cherries. I ended up canning 16 pints of cherries, plus Cherry-Strawberry Conserves, Cherry Jam and Black Forest Preserves. I still have about 2 1/2 quarts left. I also have strawberries left that I bought to add to the conserves. I ended up just popping them in the freezer. I'll take care of them when I get home.

So why am I so excited to be going to Oregon and Washington. I'm visiting my friend JoAnn in St. Helen's for the first time since she moved there 5 years ago. I've really missed our times together. We've both been so busy that we haven't really stayed in touch. I've heard so much about her home and gardens, I can't wait to see them.

Then I'm on to Bremerton, WA to visit my daughter. I am so looking forward to some mother-daughter time.

At 10:00 last night I suddenly got that little boost of energy I needed. I packed my computer, my carry on bag and my suitcase. Then I fell into bed exhausted. As I was about to fall asleep I realized I forgot my shoes and nightclothes. Oh well, it would have to wait until morning.

I had set my clock for 6:00 am thinking that would give me an hour and a half to get ready. Actually it gave me 2 1/2 hours. With plenty of time I re-packed my bag, printed my ticket (which I couldn't do yesterday for some reason), checked the weather and even had time for a quick post. But now my hubby is chomping at the bit and it's time to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment