Monday, January 9, 2012

Leave Perfection Alone

You know why I prefer a book to a movie? When you read a book, even though the author tells you a good story, you flesh it out. Your mind takes the clues and draws a picture for you to see and an adventure for you to experience; maybe even a whole new world. When a story is made into a movie, it severely limits your creativity. Suddenly you are viewing the story from someone else's perspective.

That's why I feel that some music isn't meant to have words. I don't see anyone trying to write words to some of the greats like Brahms and Beethoven. These musical arrangements are great all by themselves. You know what makes them unique? It's because as you listen, you can draw your own pictures in you mind. You may imagine something completely different than the person sitting next to you and that's okay. It's what makes the composition your own special experience.

I was listening to music by my husband and his two friends who play a supporting role in his creations. The music is awesome in it's own right and draws dreams for me to experience. It doesn't need words!  Yet there are some people that seem to think these creations are incomplete. They think they need to add flawed words to masterpieces that can stand alone.

The other night as David was playing one of his first songs, someone kept asking me, "Do you sing? Do you know this song? Blah, blah, blah." I just wanted to say, "Would you please shut up and just listen!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment