Sunday, February 10, 2013

Seed Starting Supplies - Recycle

A cookie tub for starting squash seeds.
I was reading an article this morning on things you can buy at the dollar store to start seeds. The You Grow Girl Guide to Shopping for Seed Starting Gear at the Dollar Store


It was a good article, but I found myself instantly critiquing it and making changes in my head. I agree with her concept. We all know that as soon as you label something as a specialty item, ie: gardening or pet supply, the price goes up. If it's something that's really popular or new, you pay through the nose. Now I understand that capitalism makes our country great, but for people without a lot of money you have to find alternatives. Plus some things, although cute, are ridiculous. I've seen some really cute containers, but they are impractical and a waste of money. If they don't have drainage holes or they're so small they dry out in less than a day - they're useless. It really pisses me off when people who are trying to save money by growing their own garden get taken in on these scams.

I recycle a lot of things to start seeds. I bought my dish tubs at Wal-mart last year for $1.50 each. I use them to gather produce too. Sharpies are a must have - they write on everything. I use any plastic containers I can cut the top off such as water bottles. To put holes in the bottom, just heat up a nail over your stove and melt the holes in otherwise you may crack your container. I save the tops to tape back on as a mini-greenhouse. I try to recycle spray bottles as long as they didn't contain some toxic cleaner. You can use any flat plastic surface such as the side of a milk carton and cut it up for markers. I would add masking tape, duct tape, cable ties, toilet paper rolls and shallow boxes to the list. The boxes will usually hold up for one season of seed starting before the glue gives way and they fall apart. I've also used plastic wrap and coat hangers to tent the boxes with seeds planted in them. Some other items to keep a lookout for at thrift stores or yard sales are buckets and baskets. Our grocery store's deli department sells buckets for $.25 each and I have found some really sturdy baskets for harvesting produce at local yard sales. Here are pictures as examples of things you can use. Happy seed starting everyone!

Here I used a shallow box to start garlic. The glue gives out eventually, but you could reinforce the box with some duct tape.

This was a produce container.

The lid helped keep the humidity levels up and already had holes for ventilation.

The container also had drainage holes too.

Here are some additional containers I've used.
The little cup on the left is from laundry detergent. Just remember to add drainage holes. A hot nail works great, but don't burn yourself.

Starbuck's cups - good for more than just coffee - these cups are pretty sturdy.
I used a pen to mark the masking tape, but it faded in the sun and the masking tape fell off. A sharpie directly on the cup would have worked better.


And of course juice and soda bottles are great for big plants such as tomatoes.



No comments:

Post a Comment